Friday, March 28, 2014

"How to Draw Comics Comic" issue #1, part one

My friend Nathan gave me this comic as a Christmas gift, and I finally got around to scanning it and posting it here. Apparently it's been floating around the web for a while, but I made some high resolution scans so I think these are better than what's been out there.

I'm always a sucker for any kind of book or tutorial that talks about the artistic process and gives you insight into how any artist works, even if it's kind of remedial and basic. I just like seeing the process of other artists, and as I always say, there isn't much to drawing except the few basic concepts that make up the core of good drawing, and then it's all about using those concepts in increasing sophisticated ways as you become a better and better artist.

I don't know much about this comic, but I hear it has a bit of a controversial history. It was published in 1985, and credit for the art goes to comic legends John Byrne and John Romita Sr., but they didn't write the text (the text is credited to Allan Fromberg). I've heard rumors that John Byrne wasn't even involved in the making of the book, and that all the artwork in it was taken from sketchbooks of his that were bought by a third party. So when the book was published, as I heard it, Byrne felt like he was misrepresented and prevented them from printing any more issues of the comic (the last page contains a tease about what's to come in issue number two…which, of course, never materialized).

Anyway, that's just the story I heard, and I'm sure one of you can straighten me out and tell me what really happened. I can't seem to find much information about it online.

I'll post the comic in three sections over the next few days; this is part one.














I'll post parts two and three in the next couple of days.

3 comments:

Wolf Lahti said...

So basically, heroes have tiny heads.

That explains a lot.

McNees said...

If I remember correctly, this was supposed to be the first issue of a series. But I don't think any of the subsequent issues ever appeared.

qq terry said...

However, it was a momentary matter cheap fifa 14 coins that I came to realize life should be upheld and maintained by gratefulness. Then our heart will never feel solitary fifa 14 coins and have the sense of being loved. Only by stretching out our hands can we give the opportunity to others cheap fifa 14 coins to hold us!